Thursday, May 17, 2012

Seussical at Gallery Theater

We are very lucky in McMinnville to be the home of Gallery Theater. Founded in 1968, Gallery has been the centerpiece of Yamhill County's theater community for decades.

As a child, I went to summer camp at Gallery, acted in plays and musicals, and always enjoyed going to performances there. My favorite was How to Eat Like a Child, which I was in with a few of my closest friends. As a teenager, I had the opportunity to play cello for the Linfield/Gallery Opera Theatre productions of The Student Prince and The Merry Widow. Being behind the scenes at these shows has given me a great appreciation for the time and effort that goes into creating any theater production.

This Saturday, I'll be at Gallery to see Seussical, along with many other people from McMinnville's First Baptist Church and the wider community. Each year, FBC buys out the house to one night of a Gallery production and sells tickets to that show as a fundraiser. I'm especially excited to see Seussical because of the many children who are in the cast. As a future music teacher, I'm encouraged when I see kids taking part in musical activities of their own volition, and creating something they can be very proud of.

Seussical runs through May 26th, with shows on Friday and Saturday evenings and a Sunday matinee. Find more information about the show and about Gallery Theater here. For tickets, call 503-472-2227.

No comments:

Post a Comment